Dear friendliest friends,
How do you choose a suitable Chiropractor?
Chiropractic is an art where chiropractors are the artists. What does that mean?
Every chiropractor has their own techniques and practice philosophies. As chiropractic is a physical procedure, consideration of the most suitable chiropractor boils down to the rapport with the doctor as well as compatibility with joint manipulation style.
- Registered with the Association of Chiropractic Malaysia (ACM) ACM is a governing body for Chiropractors in Malaysia. All Chiropractors who wishes to practice in Malaysia have to be registered with the ACM in order to practice. This ensures the validation of qualifications of the chiropractors wanting to practice in Malaysia. Always look out for a a certificate of registration at any chiropractic clinic.
- Referrals / Word of Mouth Recommendations This factor is quite subjective in the sense that chiropractors are different in their own ways. What works for one may not work for another. But as a general rule of thumb, if multiple people recommend the same chiropractor, chances are good that the chiropractor is reliable.
- Enquiry about Chiropractic techniques There are many chiropractic techniques individually catered by the chiropractor to ensure the best result with patients. Some chiropractors perform joint manipulation with their hands only and some uses various instruments. Some patients prefer the immediate feeling of relief offered by the “joint popping” type of spinal manipulation, while others cringe at the mere thought and prefer a low-force chiropractic technique. Therefore, it is good to know what is best suited for you.
- Chiropractic program plan A good chiropractor would do everything in their power to make the patient feel better in the least amount of time as possible. A good chiropractor also gives advice on how to avoid future problems through lifestyle modifications (posture, diet, orthotics, exercises, ergonomics, etc)
- Individually tailored joint manipulation Have any of you gone to a chiropractor who has routine chiropractic manipulation for every single patient? It is advisable for patients to avoid practitioners who tend to find the same thing wrong with every patient and treat every patient with the same treatment program.
- X-ray requirements In my own practice at Mind, Body and Soul, X-ray is not warranted in most non-traumatic cases unless there are no improvement after treatment of 4 weeks. I will write a post regarding X-ray guidelines next. Some chiropractic clinics are quite adamant about X-rays prior to treatment as a legality but then again there is a question of exposure of patient to radiation unnecessarily.
Just a friendly quick guideline to choose the right chiropractor for you. Hope this helps.
p.s: Please feel free to visit my website www.mbschiro.com.my for more information of my background and services that we offer.
Thank you kindly.
Yours in good health,
Dr Julie Goh